Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Swim Coach?

So what do you do when your swim was your weakest area and you still struggle with a decent swim after a couple of years of self coaching. Simple, get someone who knows how to coach swimming. To date I have been pretty successful with self coaching and I must say I enjoy learning about how the body works and how best to train for Triathlon. However, certain things just require another person's insight, an expert and someone who can explain it to various athletes and personalities. To all the long time high school and college swimmers out there, you have no idea how much advantage it is to already have a good swim stroke and to know how to effortlessly glide through the water. For the past two years I have read articles, looked at videos, took advice from other people and with out a doubt I have gotten better. However, that is simply not good enough, bottom line if you want to be a good Triathlete you need to be able to exit the water in the top 5 and then bike and run with the best of them. I am getting close on the bike and run but was always somewhere around 15th out of the water, that is a lot of time to give away during a short coourse race. For the longer Tris, it is not the time that gets you, but the effort expended. Good swimmers spend much less energy per a given distance. Triathletes have to be able to swim short or long but more importantly they must swim effortlessly. This envolves having a near perfect swim stroke and the ability to remain calm, find good feet to draft on and have the power when needed to bridge a gap. When done correctly, this leaves plenty of energy for the bike but more improtantly leaves you ready to run when everyone else is on empty. So now I have a coach - Dawn Chuck at DUKE started teaching basics swim strokes and provides workouts to people like myself or anyone simply interested in swimming better. She certainly has the credential to do it. Two time Olympian and now DUKE assistant swim coach. I guess if I cannot learn something from her I might as well give up! No worries though, I am confident I wil be swimming much better in just a few months, provided I work hard. But that is usually not a problem for me. I will let you know if my decision to get coaching pays dividends. April 15th will be the first test with an Ironman Swim of 2.4 miles. My goal is 1:10 or better. I should be able to meet that with my current best of 33 minutes and some change at the half distance.

No comments: