Monday, January 29, 2007

Flex in the schedule

Triathletes always have a workout schedule. If you are like me, you plan the months well in advance, at least on a Macro level. The actual details of the week may not come until a week or two ahead but you certainly know what phase of training you are in and have things scheduled to meet those Priority A races. Last week I got reminded of two things:

Your immune system gets really beat up when you are traning hard and you get sick much easier during this time.

Make sure to have flex time in your schedule to accmodate the "real life" family, unexpected emergency and sickness.

Last Monday I was on yet an other 20 hour week of workouts. This is pretty much my limit and is a LOT of training for someone who works full time with no kids. I had switched my long run around due to some pretty nasty weather on Sunday and found myself running on Monday evening - planning on about a 2hr 30min run - probably 16 or 17 miles? I started out and only 20 minnutes into the run noticed my heart rate 10 beats above normal and my pace a full 1 minute off, I did not feel that bad so I kept running, 1 hour down and the same thing, 2 hours same - well I did not figure out this was a sure sign I was either overtrained (Impossible since I take good recovery weeks and just got finished doing one) or that I am getting sick. I soldiered on, At 2:20 I am shelled feeling terrible and walk 10 minutes to get home. Into bed I went feeling very tired. Got up the next morning went to work just long enought to type an email to say I am going home - feeling sick! Long story short I was down through Friday with the FLU (Yes I got a Flu shot this year - did not help matters). Let me tell you, it sucked! However by Saturday I was good to go and back on the bike for a 95 mile day! Lesson learned - pay attention - had I stopped my long run maybe after 30 minutes or so I may have gotten through the sickness a day or two quicker!

Seond lesson I learned but I already knew this one. Don't try to make up lost time. I had scheduled a full Flex week into my trianing for the winter for this type of thing . So I do not feel like I have lost anythnig, I just finished out the week and started this week over again. Still on schedule. Good lessons to learn - sometimes I guess we all need to have a gentle reminder now and then.

3 comments:

TriDaddy said...

20 hours a week is SERIOUS. Take advantage of those recovery weeks. I also found doing things outside the typical triathlon training (like hiking with my 20 pound son on my back) helped refresh me mentally (but then I never hit 20 hours!) What race are you training for?

Cody's Tri Blog said...

Training for IM Arizona in April (My first full distance IM) I have a second in August -(IM Louisville.)This will be my 3rd season of Tri and I did 3 halfs last year with a best time of 5:04 down in Clearwater. You have to rememeber - yes 20 hours is a lot, but is very doable for someone that does not have kids and has a very understanding wife. In addition, we are talking primarily BASE (Low intensity traininng) with 5-6 hour bike rides and and 2.5 hour runs the hours add up quick. However I still think roughly 20 hours is about max for someone who works full time and is not professional; and that takes a lot to maintain. Good luck in your training. I guess you know Brett, I met him last year and swim withi him at lunch here at Duke.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.